Friday, June 1, 2012

Friday Flash Fiction: My Zombie Little Brother


My little brother, Kyle, has been six years old for six years now. Ever since he was bitten by that decrepit stray cat passing through our backyard, he has stopped growing and smells as retched as that damn cat no matter how many times we scrub him down. He’s always up for play fighting, wrapping his chubby arms around my leg and his little jaws going for the thigh. But luckily for me, I peel him off and throw him easily to the ground, where his little limbs flail spastically in all directions. When he gets too aggressive and adamant about devouring the family, he spends a timeout in his room. Zombie kids never learn and rarely listen. But he’ll always be my little brother and I love him for who he is.
Since he began eating us out of house and home, Mom had to go back to work to pay for the extra pounds of raw meat he goes through daily. The butcher took sympathy on the family and printed a rewards card just for us: One hundred pounds of meat and the next pound’s free! With Mom and Dad away at work, I bring Kyle with me to school. I can’t just leave him home alone to terrorize the neighbors, even though ridding the street of the Paulson kids wouldn’t be such a bad thing.
Kyle follows me around the campus and stands beside me in class. Fellow students in close proximity don’t always appreciate the staring, excessive drooling, and gurgling sounds, but they’ve come to accept Kyle over the past few years. He’s even become the school mascot. The games when he gets to run around like a banshee in his personalized polar bear costume make me so proud and sometimes bring a tear to my eyes. For those magical moments, Kyle’s in zombie kid heaven. They’re also the times when he can’t hurt anyone no matter how hard he tries to bite through the furry, padded suit. Have you ever seen a zombie kid chasing his back zipper like a dog chasing its tail? I’ll try to remember to post a video.
Now that I’m a senior, Kyle and I run the school. He marches beside me like my own personal midget bodyguard. The incoming freshmen have no idea what to expect when they see us strutting down the hall. When I yell, “Sick’em, Kyle!” he charges their huddled clusters, scattering freshmen like a murder of crows. Sometimes he charges off on his own accord and I have to reel him back before he wreaks too much havoc. Silly freshmen, as long as they’re wearing long pants, they’ll be fine. That’s my little brother, always trying to take people out at the knees. His persistence is inspirational. We can all learn a thing or two from Kyle, my zombie little brother.
 
<><><><><><><><><><><><> 

In fellow blogger news, Nancy Thompson has revealed the cover to her book, The Mistaken today! Hop over to her blog to find out more about her book. The Mistaken has a release date of October, 18th. Mark it on your calendars. Congratulations, Nancy! :)

20 comments:

  1. Excellent flash fiction. I like cats....but not so sure now.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. And they say dogs are man's best friend. I vote zombie kid brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was awesome! Snarky humor and a new twist on zombies. Good job, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this excerpt. I've never heard of a zombie brother in such affectionate and cool terms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool story. Erm...I thought all little brothers were zombies :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yvonne, thanks! Not all cats are like that one. :)

    Dana, thank you. :)

    James, I want one for myself, which is maybe why O wrote the story. haha.

    Alex, thanks, I'm trying to practice my humor.

    Michael, someone's got to love them, right?

    Carol, thanks funny, I wouldn't know, and I can't call my little sister that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, you and I should collaborate someday. I've written a fun story about a young zombie myself. Still working on the edits after my beta read. Different genre from yours. I'm totally psyched at the possibilities.

    Your story is fun, and I love how you added family loyalty into the mix. Kyle certainly can't help the hand he was dealt. Great job. :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Creepy-funny story. Well done, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL!! I LOVE little brother zombie Kyle!! Awwww what a cutie!! I love this story!! LOL!! Yay!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candilynn, I'm intrigued and would like to talk with you more about it. :)

    Medeia, thank you! :)

    Kitty, thanks so much! Glad little zombie kyle has a special place in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The image of a zombie kid in a polar bear suit was priceless... hands down, my favorite part of this story. Thanks for the much needed laugh after a long week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the flash fiction!! it was funny and creepy :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  13. T, thanks, that was the final detail I came up with.

    Cherie, she they don't all have to be scary. :)

    Andrea, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute on first read-through...until you really start to think about it. The narrator is made of sterner stuff than most, reigning in a mini-cannibal like that on a daily basis.

    *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so unique, Michael. Loved it. Totally loved it. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Diego, it's all what you get used to, I guess, but I don't have a zombie little brother. haha.

    Mina, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hilarious flash! I'm not really into zombies, but this was great!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs