Tuesday, April 3, 2012

"C" is for Customer Service

I worked in customer service for about 15 years, and it was a great experience, but I never want to do it again. I'll start off by saying that I served and met some really great people, made new friends, and I genuinely enjoy being nice to people. But there are quite a few rude, condescending, and inconsiderate people out there. I think it should be mandatory for everyone to work in customer service for at least a little while. The perspective of being on the other side of the counter will help some people realize that the employees serving them are not below them.

The problem with companies pushing the pride of excellent customer service is that over the years, especially in the crippled economy, they are doing more and more for the customers. In theory it's great. But the mantra of "we will do whatever it takes to exceed your expectations" invites more people taking advantage and creating more commonplace customer insolence.

To preface the video below, when I went to see The Hunger Games a week ago, there was one super-considerate patron sitting towards the front of the theater continually playing with his/her phone. My eyes kept being drawn to the phone screen as it flashed on and off throughout the movie. That's when I appreciate companies that fight back.


2 comments:

  1. A very true post. My husband worked in CS, bless him. He has a remarkable talent for dealing with people. I think the customer service experience is be nothing but helpful in your writing venture, right? New follower now. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Dark City kit by StarLight Designs